The Minoans settled in the area continuously, starting from the aceramic Neolithic period, approximately 7000 B.C. (terracotta was not used during that period) till the Mycenaean invasion, then the area was used by the Mycenaeans until finally it was abandoned. Human presence on the site is evident for thousands of years, before the construction of the first palace. Knossos is the largest palace in Minoan Crete. To be precise, it is twice as big as Phaistos, Mallia, four times the size of Zakros and seven times larger than the palatial centre at Gournia.
For a period of about 600 years, palaces were the centres of the political, economic and religious life of Minoan Crete during the second millennium BC.
In the course of the long Minoan Age the palace of Knossos was hit by two great disasters. Each marked new developments in Minoan civilization. The first destruction was brought on by an earthquake at the end of the First Palatial period, about 1700 BC. Relatively soon after this destruction, the palaces were rebuilt by the Minoans marking the second, more glorious period, the Neopalatial period, the peak of the Minoan civilization. About 1613 (+-10 years) BC, once more earth tremors completely devastated the Minoan palaces. After this, during the Post-palatial period, most of palatial centres were abandoned and only the palace at Knossos remained inhabited until Mycenaean rule. The ruins of the palaces, which can be visited today, belong to the second palatial period. It’s is also the building phase that the excavator of Knossos, Sir Arthur Evans, decided to reconstruct.
Palace architecture reflects the needs of a hierarchical and centralized society, where all the procedures were determined in an absolute way. Their planning and functionalism reveal the influence from palaces of the Middle East and Egypt from where the Minoans borrowed certain features which they adapted to the natural environment of Crete and to the needs of Minoan society. Planning and construction of the palaces had certain common elements which were followed closely.
The Knossos palaces are made up of multi-storey apartments, structured in four wings around an enormous rectangular central court. Despite the fact that the palaces were administrative and economic centres of Minoan Crete where certainly politicians and even religious leaders lived and where treasures were stored, they were not fortified. This indicates the feeling of security of inland palatial society.
During our tour at the palace of Knossos we will have the time to narrate the history of the Minoans, explain why and how this civilization reached this high level, we will discuss about the Minoan society, economy, their burial customs and their religious practices, their administrative system and their writing etc. Follow us to unveil the secrets of the Minoan civilization. With patience and professionalism we will guide you around, point out the important buildings / highlights of the palace.
Use the services of a professional licensed guide and explore the Palace of legendary King Minos.
Meet your qualified guide at Knossos for a guided tour.
The cost of the tour is 160 euro and refers to the cost of the guide for a private tour . ( with all taxes and 24% VAT included)
Duration : Estimate the duration of the guided tour of the palace of Knossos, to 1 hour and 30 min . For an extended guided tour for guests with special interest in archeaology , please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment ( at a convenient time to avoid the groups ) and to inform you about the cost.
Group capacity: Maximum participants up to 5. For a larger group, please contact us at email@example.com.
Skip the line entrance can be arranged, we can of course pre-buy the tickets for your party, please add the details ( number of participants and ages ) when you make your booking .
- If you intend to visit the museum of Heraklion later on ( on your own), we propose the combined ticket ( cost per person 20 euro) for both Knossos and the museum of Heraklion ( can be used in the next two days of the date of issue )
- Services of a professional licensed qualified guide or an archeologist qualified guide
- Invoice will be provided by our travel agency ( transaction is through a secure website of the bank, the credit card receipt is the invoice)
- bottle of water per person
- Maps and plans of the site and Heraklion
- Audio tour guide system
- VAT (24%) and all taxes
Not included :
- Entrance tickets are not included – but if you wish us to prebuy the tickets for you let us know at the “add note area” of the booking form
- Transportation not included – (transportation can be arranged upon request though)
Please note – COVID-19 information regarding the tours
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the Greek state has imposed strict protocols regarding health, safety of businesses providing services to guests visiting the sites of Greece and Crete. Our company fully complies with the regulations and takes a step further providing to the guests audio tour guide system in all tours (whispers – free of charge ). For hygiene reasons guests are kindly requested to bring their own 3.5 mini jack hands free. Certain areas of the sites have designated areas where groups or guests should stand ( to secure distances for example in the museum or at Knossos ) . Guests are kindly requested to comply with the advises and recommendations of guides or security personnel of the sites ( Knossos / museum / Phaistos ) . In good faith, we ask for your patience , in order to provide a safe tour and enjoyable experience…
We propose to future guests, to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before booking a tour or excursion.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR KNOSSOS PRIVATE TOUR
- Special offer for the first tour at 8.00 and bookings after 15.00 every day. Book your private tour at a reduced cost (130 euro instead of 160 euro) after 15.00. Proceed to the “book your tour” area and choose your private Knossos tour early in the morning at 8.00( to avoid crowds) or after 15.00. ( THE SPECIAL OFFER COST FOR BOOKINGS WILL BE ADJUSTED AUTOMATICALLY). – ENTRANCE FEES ARE NOT INCLUDED.
- ALL TOURS ARE PRIVATE – AT YOUR OWN PACE.
- USE THE FORM “NOTES” THROUGH THE BOOKING FORM, IF YOU WISH US TO PREBUY THE TICKETS FOR YOU AND ARRANGE THE SKIP THE LINES ENTRY
For the archaeological site of Knossos
Reduced admission for
Free admission for
Free admission days